Friday, April 16, 2010

Enforcing Rule #11

Please refer to the earlier post on details for rule #11

We all know Crash has tactile sensitivities and craves movement as a way to organize.  A wet shirt to Crash is like wearing a shirt made out of pins and needles, so I totally get his desire not to get his clothing wet.  But what may be a cute behind at age 3, will not be a cute behind at age 30.  So, how can we modify his drying routine to be a tad bit more modest and socially acceptable.

1. Someone else can dry Crash.
Well, this does not promote independence, and I would hate for him to have to bring his mommy to college to help him out.  And, if this isn't enough reason, Crash will drive you crazy attempting to direct you on where every drop of water is located.

2. Use a hair dryer.
I thought this was a brilliant idea.
What noise does a hair dryer make....
Some days he loves it, some days he hates it, and it usually sends him running wildly through the house.  Not to mention I created a monster who thinks every drop of water requires a hair dryer.  Do you love it, or hate it?  Some days I can't tell.

3. Rationalization.
I asked Crash where he was wet and why he couldn't get dressed.  He already gave me the answer.  His hair was wet.  So, we talked about getting dressed and what goes over your head and could get wet and what does not.  Come to find out he knows his pants go on his legs!  A big ahh ha moment.  As soon as we talked about this, he was able to put his underwear and pants on.

I am willing to compromise to avoid nakedness streaking through my house.  If Crash dries off on his own, and puts his pants and underwear on, I can wait until his hair is at an acceptable state of dryness before putting on a shirt.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, just discovered your blog through...hmmm, one of the SPD blogs/forums I was just reading...can't seem to keep track! Anyway, Crash's profile sounds a lot like my son's and I read your post on Therapeutic Listening a while back. Are you still doing it and seeing positive results? Our insurance doesn't cover the OT who's certified in our area for TL so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Thanks for the drying tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keri,

    Our insurance didn't cover therapeutic listening or OT for the matter. We found a private therapist in the area instead of using a clinic and found the rates to be more reasonable and we really felt like we were working as a team instead of a number filling a slot.

    Therapeutic Listening is controversial. I am a huge fan. I went to a 2 day workshop by Shelia Frick and actually became a certified provider myself. As a Speech and Language Therapist as well as a mom of an SPD child, I really felt it was beneficial to understand the concept and all the details.

    We did see positive results, but it took a lot of time and effort on our part to follow the regimen. I would recommend this type of therapy, but only if you have a great therapist to work with and are able to put in the time and effort to see change. It's more than just wearing headphones. We had variety of motor activities that filled the 30 min listening sessions and all (because of my son's age) required adult supervision or assistance.

    At the moment we are not using the listening program. We went though the entire cycle one time and even repeated a couple cd's. There are additional more advanced listening programs that are out there, and I will probably look into them in the future as we enter school and there are more demands for specific skills etc that the listening cds may address. In my opinion the change we saw was worth the cost, but I would talk with some providers. Look at their philosophy, cost, time commitment etc and see if it fits with your families beliefs, schedule etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great to hear you saw positive results! I was able to get in touch with a good therapist over at the children's hospital who happens to give discounts to families who have to pay out of pocket. It sounds like it is worth a try. Thanks, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete